Kikurage is a fungus that grows well on trees, especially mulberry trees. In Yakuzen, Goki is classified as “Couple” and Gomi is classified as “Sweet”. The Chinese name is Mokuji, and the other is Mimitake. It is named after the wooden ear tree because of its shape like an ear.
The types are subdivided according to the growth tree, such as “Kuwami” for those that grow on mulberry and souji trees, and “Makimi” for those that grow on the Enju and Kaiji trees.
When dried, it turns white and is called “Tai Shiraki” or “Silver Tai” and is highly appreciated in China. In particular, those produced in Sichuan have a nourishing and skin-good effect and are popular locally.
Effects of Kikurage
It is said that Kikurage has a nice function for women, such as beauty.
In addition, since ancient times, in China, the sticky ingredient in jellyfish has been considered the glue, and it is considered to be good for nourishing. Also, it is often used as it has the function of moisturizing dry skin and brightening its shine.
How to choose jellyfish
Choose thick, large, glossy and thick jellyfish. The taste itself is pale, but it has a nice texture and matches perfectly with various dishes.
Rinse with water to remove stones, then cook with meat, fish and vegetables. In addition to serving as a side dish, you can also boil it with sugar or garnish it with nuts.
Sweet and sour white jellyfish
In Yakuzen, it is believed that “every food has a beneficial effect on the body”. Hence, it is said that symptoms can be improved by taking it with your normal diet or when you are feeling ill. After that, I will introduce Kikurage’s suggested cooking method.
The Chinese medicine set uses ingredients that are good for nourishment. If you don’t have a white jellyfish, you can use a black jellyfish.
Ingredients (for 2 people)
・ White jellyfish 10g
・ Walnuts (without the shell) 30 grams
・ Cucumber 5 cm
・ Half of celery
・ One piece of ginger
・ 1/2 tbsp
・ 1/2 tablespoon sake
・ 20 grams of pine nuts
・ Sweet vinegar A (1/2 cup vinegar, 2 tablespoons mirin, 1 teaspoon honey, a pinch of salt)
1. Soak white jellyfish in water for 5 to 6 hours. After removing ice, soak in boiling water and leave for another 2 hours. It should be about 7 to 8 times bigger, so split it into small bundles.
2. Place in an autoclave with steam and steam for about 30 minutes. Let it cool if you can.
3. Soak walnuts in boiling water, use bamboo skewers to remove the thin shells and then grind them into small pea-sized pieces.
4. Cut into thin slices (or shredded) with cucumber, carrot and celery. Cut ginger into small pieces into ginger, soak in water.
5. Rinse kukoshi quickly and soak it in sake.
6. Combine the ingredients of A sweet and sour.
7. Put the drained jellyfish into the bowl just torn, sprinkle the jelly on top. Then sprinkle with pine nuts, kukoshi, walnuts, sprinkle with pineapple ginger on top.
After rinsing Kukoshi with water, drain it and soak it with sake or alcohol to turn it into an ordinary delicious ingredient. Also, if you boil soft kukoshi on low heat, it will become jelly-like, making it easier to use for cooking.
Kikurage is said to be very good for beauty, in addition to improving constipation, it is also very good for nourishing and has an indispensable function for good health such as prevention and improvement of high blood pressure. pressure. Don’t think that medicinal dishes are difficult, why not try incorporating Kikurage into your eating habits?